I hate to sound like an old hippie and spout things like “the universe will answer your needs if your chakras are aligned,” but I really believe that without a positive attitude or outlook, you are doomed as an actor.
So, smile, dammit!
Aside from the tried and true, “Bask in the ever joyful present moment,” a la Eckhart Tolle – whose book, The Power of Now is exceeding lovely and inspirational – there are a number of things you can do in your daily life as an actor to help you along your path and keep you from unnecessary pain. Here are a few ideas:
- Sex (duh).
- Spending time with people you love (not people you feel obligated to spend time with).
- Learning new things.
- Experiencing new things.
- Hiking or getting out into nature.
- Doing thrilling things (amusement parks, scuba diving, learning to shoot a handgun, and being a passenger in a race car).
- Sending positive thoughts/intention to other people, even strangers (and possibly people who have wronged you).
- Conscious breathing.
- Socializing with like minded people.
You have to believe in yourself and your abilities in order to be successful. You need confidence. If you are not booking, you might lose a bit of confidence, so make sure you are able to pull yourself off of the mat and come back swinging! I am a real believer in collaboration over competition, so reach out to your community, talk with other actors, share your stories, get the support you need, and get back out there!
This journey (the artist’s path) is obviously trying and filled with challenges. Why do you think people say “If you can DO ANYTHING ELSE…do it!”? It is certainly not going to be handed to you (success, etc.), so as you work, study, and persevere, keep your head about you and stay positive! Because bitter isn’t pretty!